My secret ingredient makes this dish “souper” savory.
- 3 cups all-natural, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can all-natural diced tomatoes
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup ditalini pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 bag fresh, baby spinach or 4 stalks fresh kale, rinsed, pulled off stalk and torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan reggiano cheese (the real deal, not from a cardboard can)
- SECRET INGREDIENT: The rind of Parmesan reggiano cheese, about 4 inch piece
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot and sauté onions and celery until translucent. Add broth, tomatoes, carrots, thyme, sage, bay leaves, a few pinches of salt/pepper, and cheese rind to pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cover pot. Slow cook for at least 1 hour. 30 minutes prior to serving, add pasta and fresh greens (spinach or kale). Before serving, remove rind and bay leaves.